You are here: Home The Facts Where can I get help?

Where can I get help?

If you are a rape survivor go to the nearest Thuthuzela Care Centre or a clinic within 3 days of the rape. A doctor will give you a medical examination and an investigating officer will ask you what happened and write down your statement.

You will be given treatment and medication for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), HIV and AIDS immediately. The staff will make arrangements for follow-up visits. Remember that you need medical and legal help even if the rape happened a while ago.

Ask your local health care worker where you can get professional help and support. You should know that the law protects you, the police have a duty to help you and that there are people and organisations who understand what you are going through and can help. 


GBV is against the law. The law is designed to protect you. Depending on the kind of violence committed (rape, domestic violence, not paying maintenance, etc.) there are exact laws and actions to help and protect you that you have a right to use.

South African Police Services (SAPS)

Police have a duty to protect you. You can report a case of GBV to the police and it is their responsibility to assist you and tell you what your rights are, what you can expect to happen and what the course of action will be to support you.

Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)

There are a number of NGOs (Link to Contact menu) that give free support, counselling and advice services. They understand and care about what you are going through and how you are feeling. They can also help to explain to you what you should do and who you should contact for immediate help.


See list of Centres here.

Share this

What if we knew why abuse happens?

Dec 17, 2015

Need help?

Click here to find a care centre close to you.

The facts

Find out more about GBV, rape, and how you get out of an abusive relationship.